Are you the first one catch a cold after eating an ice-cream amongst all your friends? Does fever feel like a perennial fact of life? If the answer is yes, then you are definitely having a compromised immune system.
The immune system has been bestowed upon us to keep our bodies protected against the various infections, bacteria’s and viruses inflicted by the environment. Our immune systems are actually inbuilt virus detectors and destroyers.
Through our uncanny lifestyle and eating habits we have dilapidated our disease fighting ability. These signs show that our defence mechanism needs help:-
- If pneumonia keeps striking again and again and does not go back.
- When the digestive system takes a different course and is irritable all the time.
- When skin rashes and other kind of skin infections keeps coming back even after repeated medications.
- If fever becomes a way of life and strikes with a slight change in weather condition.
- If you catch other peoples infections (like common cold) at the slightest of contact.
If you relate to any of these, then it is time to think fast and take corrective actions.
BANE FOR IMMUNE SYSTEM
Immune system is not just one cell or organ, a number of tissues, nerves, cells, hormones work together to protect their host against the outside attack. A few of our habits weaken this system.
- Alcohol consumption– If you are an avid drinker you will be far more prone to infections. Alcohol damages the strength of the white blood cells which are our germ guards. This destruction of body’s army causes serious health hazards for us.
- Inadequate Sleep-. Sleeping well is really essential. Remember the doctor saying the babies grow while they sleep, the same goes for us, our immune system rebuild when we sleep. So if you are not sleeping well the system which is fighting for you day and night is being denied necessary replenishment, making us susceptible to infections.
- Low Water Intake– Our bodies are 70% of water. Water helps in flushing out the toxins out of our body. Most of us have become so busy that the simple rule of drinking adequate water is not being followed. This leads to weakened body defences.
- Sedentary Lifestyle– Modern living is more about sitting in front of the laptops or tablets. Life is very confined and stagnant. We do not walk for even short distances, leave aside exercising. This lack of exercise leads to obesity and compromises the body’s immunity.
- Stress– Happy is the new healthy. Stress reduces the growth of certain good hormones in the body which support the defence mechanism in our system. So stress is the precursor to almost all small and big diseases which we suffer from.
THE RIGHT WAY TO GO
Though any change will not lead to an overnight miracle, but you will be amazed to see how small things can make huge difference for your health over a period of time. It is never too late to start something good.
- Do not over eat and avoid eating packed food which are filled with harmful pesticides. These chemicals harm the defences of our body.
- Walk as much as you can. If busy schedule is not letting you exercise, do not use transport for short distances. Climb stairs instead of taking a lift. These small steps can make you and your immune system fitter to fight all germs and bacteria’s.
- Go green. Eat as much fresh fruits and vegetables as you can, they have the ability to boost the natural immune system of the body.
- Do not be over protective. Let you and your child’s body be exposed to a certain amount of weather harshness or germs. This will make your immune system aware and in turn increase its ability to fight them if they attack your body in future.
- Stay happy, meditate often and avoid the maddening stress of competition. All this will release happy hormones in the body which assist the immune system and thus strengthen it.
And last but not the least be positive.Positive and happy attitude helps in improving the blood flow in the body and starts arebuilding process for the weak immune system, paving way for a health body and mind.